FUT Hair Transplantation in San Diego, CA
Hair loss affects a large portion of the population and causes anxiety, frustration, and loss of confidence for many. Medical professionals worldwide have attempted to solve this common issue over the past several decades, with results often leaving much to be desired.
However, if you are losing your hair now, there is good news regarding the science of hair transplantation, as these procedures have come a long way. A qualified and experienced surgeon like Dr. Roy David can deliver results that are natural-looking and long-lasting.
Dr. David is a double board-certified plastic surgeon in San Diego, California, who offers FUT hair transplantation here at Pacific Hair Center.
What Is FUT Hair Transplantation?
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), also referred to as the strip method, is a surgical hair restoration procedure that involves removing a small section of the scalp with healthy hair follicles and grafting it onto bald or thinning areas.
What Are the Benefits of FUT Hair Transplantation?
- Natural Results: FUT provides natural-looking results due to the precise placement of follicular units.
- Good Option for Women and Men: FUT is a good option for women or for beard transplant in men with a full head of hair, as the scar should never become visible due to ongoing hair loss.
- Long-Lasting Results: With FUT, the transplanted hair is usually permanent and continues to grow like natural hair.
- High Graft Yield: FUT can yield a high number of grafts, making it suitable for individuals with extensive hair loss.
Ideal candidates for FUT should meet the following criteria:
- Have sufficient donor hair in the back or sides of their scalp
- Be in good overall health
- Understand the process
- Never intend to shave their scalp or wear their hair very short
Dr. David can help determine if the FUT hair transplant method suits you.
How Are FUT Hair Transplants Performed?
Before the Hair Transplant Procedure
During your consultation with Dr. David, he will evaluate your hair loss pattern, assess your suitability for FUT, discuss your hair restoration goals, and develop a customized treatment plan.
During Your FUT Hair Transplant
If Dr. Roy finds that you are a good candidate for the FUT method and you decide to move forward with the surgery, the steps involved are listed below:
- Anesthesia: Before your procedure begins, local anesthesia will be administered to numb the donor and the recipient areas to ensure that you remain comfortable during the surgery.
- Donor strip removal: In FUT, a strip of scalp containing healthy hair follicles is surgically removed from the donor area. This is typically taken from the back of the head, which is more resistant to hair loss. The donor site incisions are then carefully closed with sutures.
- Follicular unit dissection: The donor strip is dissected under a microscope to obtain individual follicular units. These are naturally occurring groupings of hair follicles containing one to four hairs each.
- Recipient site creation: Tiny incisions are made in the recipient area, where hair loss or thinning is evident. These incisions are strategically placed to achieve a natural-looking hairline and aesthetically pleasing results.
- Follicular unit transplantation: The harvested follicular units are placed into the recipient sites. FUT is a meticulous process, and our surgeon’s skill and experience are integral in helping you achieve the best results possible.
- Closing the incisions: After the follicular units are transplanted, the incisions are closed, resulting in a linear scar that should be well hidden by the surrounding hair.
FUT Hair Restoration Recovery
You can return home on the same day of the surgery. It’s important to follow Dr. David’s post-operative instructions and take any prescribed medication, which may include antibiotics and pain medicine.
Most patients can return to work and normal activities within a week or two, but you should avoid strenuous physical activity for a few weeks.
FUT Hair Transplant Results
The transplanted hair will typically shed within the first few weeks, but new hair growth usually begins within a few months. In about six months, your hair will look natural and continue to grow for a lifetime.
Your San Diego FUT Hair Restoration Specialist
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) is an effective and widely used hair restoration procedure for individuals experiencing hair loss.
FUT Hair Restoration FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Is FUT a painful procedure?
No. FUT is performed under local anesthesia, ensuring that the procedure is virtually painless. Patients may experience some discomfort or mild pain during the healing process.
How long does the FUT procedure take?
The duration of the FUT procedure varies depending on the number of grafts being transplanted, but it typically takes several hours.
Is there scarring after the FUT procedure?
FUT leaves a linear scar at the donor site. However, it’s usually easily concealable with surrounding hair. Proper post-operative care can also help minimize the appearance of the scar.
How long does it take for transplanted hair to grow after FUT?
Transplanted hair typically sheds within the first few weeks after the procedure. New hair growth usually starts within a few months, and full results may take several months to a year.
Are the results of FUT permanent?
Yes, the transplanted hair is typically permanent and should continue to grow like natural hair.
Is there a limit to the number of grafts that can be transplanted with FUT?
The number of grafts that can be transplanted depends on the patient’s donor hair availability. FUT can often provide a high number of grafts, making it suitable for individuals with extensive hair loss.
What is the recovery process like after the FUT procedure?
Patients usually return to work and normal activities within a week or two but should avoid strenuous physical activity for a few weeks.
Are there any risks or complications associated with FUT?
FUT is generally considered safe, but potential complications may include infection and scarring.
Can FUT be combined with other treatments or procedures for hair restoration?
Yes, FUT can be combined with other treatments, such as medications or platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy, to enhance results.